St Finian’s College offers 2 programmes at Senior Cycle - the traditional Leaving Certificate and the Leaving Certificate Vocational programme.
In order to help our students make the most informed decision about subject choice for Senior Cycle, we run the following programme of events to help them.
- Senior Cycle Booklet on subjects issued to students in 3rd year and TY and also to parents/guardians – Subject Choice Booklet 2020.pdf
- Ms Mary Mc Cormack organises a "Subject Forum" in March, where 3rd and TY students listen to teachers and 6th year students about subjects at Senior Cycle.
- Guidance Counsellor and Year Heads meet with 3rd year and TY students and go through the process for choosing subjects and give advice on subject choice
- Parent Information Evening Meeting is held for all 3rd year and TY parents/guardians
- Students are advised to speak with teachers if they have any specific questions around subject content and are also invited to speak with the Guidance Counsellor and/or Deputy Principal
- Students are asked to choose their subject preferences online via VS Ware
At Senior Cycle students will study:
English, Irish and Maths
French or German or both
Non exam Religion
Accounting, Business, Biology, Chemistry, Physics,
Art, Music, Home Economics, Religion Technology,
Design & Communication, Graphics, History, Geography.
Students who choose to take the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme will study 2 Link Modules in addition to their usual 7 subjects. These Link Modules are
- Enterprise Education
- The World of Work